Urban Greening

Half of the world’s people now live in urban areas.
By 2050, this proportion is expected to grow to 66 percent.

– The United Nations –

Why we need green spaces

There is a clear evidence base to show that green space benefits people’s health, both physical and mental – including the reduction in stress and pressures in the modern world.

Providing adequate green space within our urban areas is therefore paramount. We need to preserve, enhance and promote existing green spaces and create new spaces.

From the research, I absolutely agree that green spaces have a huge positive impact on the city dwellers. As I’m here in London, I found that Londoners enjoy going to the park and there are a number of parks here. Comparing with Bankok which is my hometown, people don’t enjoy going to the park that much. This is because of a low number of green spaces in Bangkok. People find that it hard to go to the park during the day because of transportation and the weather is too hot.

So now, I’m thinking about what can I do :
promoting existing green space
create new green space

Then I have to ask myself questions :
How can I encourage people to enjoy green space in their city?
What will it be? product? event? …?

Shinrin-yoku / Forest Bathing

I found an interesting study, Shinrin-yoku, a term that means “taking in the forest atmosphere” or “forest bathing.” It was developed in Japan during the 1980s and has become a cornerstone of preventive health care and healing in Japanese medicine.

The idea is simple: if a person simply visits a natural area and walks in a relaxed way there are calming, rejuvenating and restorative benefits to be achieved.

Currently, Shinrin-yoku has come to the UK. There are many sessions in London that invite people to experience the
connection with nature in order to enhance both mental and physical well-being. I’ve never had a chance to try but I think this is a great case study of engaging people with nature – including multisensory experiences.